Thursday, November 20, 2014

Floyd Mayweather's Son: 'My Father is a Coward'



(GMA) It isn't a word usually associated with an undefeated professional boxer who has won championship titles across five weight divisions. But for a son who was a witness to his father's beating of his mother four years ago, "coward" is an apt term to describe Floyd Mayweather Jr.
 
In an article published on USA Today, Koraun Mayweather, the fighter's eldest son with former partner Josie Harris, recalls the night his mother was attacked by the boxer in 2010.
 
"(My dad) said to lock my door and stay in my room," said Koraun, who is now 15 years old. "I sat there and thought about what I was going to do next. Just for like a minute."
 
Harris was asleep when Mayweather arrived with an associate, James McNair, at around 4 a.m. The boxer, agitated by the fact that his former partner was dating another man, beat her in front of their then 11-year-old son.
 
"I ran and I tried to go through the front door to go to the (security) gate," Koraun said of his actions during that night. "But then his friend (McNair) came through the door and blocked off the stairway for me to go through."
 
The boy then went back to his room, locked the door, and got out of the house through his bathroom to call for help.
 
"I just told (the guard) that my mom was getting hurt and to call the ambulance and the police," he said.
 
Four years later, Koraun is still seeing his father every once in while. Mayweather recently gifted him a golf cart for his birthday, but the boy said he is still coming to terms with what his father did, especially with the boxer's continuous denial.
 
"He is a coward," he said.
 
After everything he had seen, Koraun, now 15 years old, has no plans of taking after his father's footsteps in the boxing world.
 
"I find (boxing) boring. It is just like how people sit in the ring and fight for 12 rounds and it gets boring after a while," he said. "Sometimes they run."

No comments:

Post a Comment